Monday, March 14, 2011

NATIONAL PANCAKE WEEK

Sorry to make this announcement a bit late.  Pancake week was actually last week but in the spirit of better late than never.....

I freely admit that I am a pancake hater.  In recent years I've tried to scour my memory for a reason WHY I don't like them, but have come up blank.  It's not as if it's Oatmeal for goodness sake.....I spent years shying away from oatmeal because Mom served us wormy oatmeal once when I was a very little girl and I haven't been able to stand the sight of it even today. 

But PANCAKES?  They seem so universally loved and they do smell and look so wonderful with all that butter and maple syrup oozing over them.  Now waffles are a different story, I LOVE waffles.  Take the same batter as a pancake and stick it in a hot waffle iron and I can eat it up by the plateful. 

My Grandmother Dessie and her goat (one of
many).  Wonder if she served goat milk with
Buckwheat pancakes to her kids?  ps...
it's said in the family that serving my Mother
goat milk when she was little cured her asthma.
The only exception to my universal dislike of pancakes in a hearty buckwheat pancake.  Heavier in texture and tasting of buckwheat, this was my favorite breakfast when I would stay with my Grandparents overnight.  Granny would serve up bacon, buckwheat cakes that she cooked up in an electric skillet right at the table and smothered with Karo dark syrup and big glasses of ice cold milk served alongside.  Now THERE was a reason to get up in the morning!

I'm not sure of the reason I'll trip over myself to get down the stairs in the morning for a buckwheat cake but roll over and go back to sleep for a stack of buttermilk pancakes but that's the way it is.  So this week, I spent a little time over at my favorite baking website by King Arthur Flour and found a recipe that sounded like it could possibly sway my pancake meter over to the "like" side.  And no buttermilk in site. 

The original recipe as posted by KAF makes 16 cups of mix and was meant to be a gift jar idea.  I've printed it as posted over on my other blog so if you think you might like to use this as gifts for Mother's Day or to take to friends as hostess gifts with a little jar of fresh maple syrup, feel free.

Do a little shopping for the best price on pure
maple syrup.  Both of these were 8 oz. but the
Treehouse jar was $2 less expensive and
still every bit as tasty.
Here is my scaled down ingredients list and instructions for something a bit more manageable for a single cook.  Making this batter by the 1/2 cup measure is a bit tricky since it's hard to scale down an egg but I think I've got it correctly done here. 

And please, do yourself another favor and toss out that fake maple flavored stuff you may have hidden in your pantry and go out to get some real honest to goodness maple syrup.  After all, we DO live in Ohio and it's readily available here starting again in a month or so.  Frankly, these pancakes were so good that I only used a couple tablespoons of syrup for all three of the cakes I ate.

OATMEAL PANCAKE MIX
Make sure you follow the directions for letting the batter stand.  During this time the oats and flour will absorb the liquids and get thicker.  If you let it stand too long and it gets too thick, feel free to add a drop or two of milk to thin it out.

1 1/2 cups rolled oats, ground in a food processor or blender
1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
4 teaspoons non-diastatic malt powder, for best malt flavor; OR sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup malted milk powder
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Whisk together all of the dry ingredients. Drizzle in the vegetable oil and mix until evenly distributed; the mixture will remain dry and crumbly. I did this by hand but if you want to use a mixer, feel free. Using your hands, rub the oil in until the mixture resembles cornmeal.  Spoon into jar or airtight container, and the follow cooking instructions below.

Instructions for pancakes: To each 1/2 cup of mix, whisk in 1 egg and 3 tablespoons milk. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes to thicken. Cook pancakes as you usually do. Yield: about a six 4-inch pancakes.

Instructions for waffles: Prepare batter as for pancakes or, for crispy waffles, add 1 tablespoon oil when mixing the batter. One half cup of dry mix will make two 6-inch waffles.

No comments: