Monday, June 27, 2011

Pita Pizza - Mediteranean Style

A few weeks ago I wrote about a terrific pita pizza that I managed to replicate from Aladdin's Eatery made with a honey mustard sauce and chicken. 

As wonderful as that pitza was, now that I can make it at home I've been able to move on to other menu items when I visit them for lunch.   The next Pitza I tried was their Arayiss Pitza.  It's described as their "famous Hummos served as a base for this unique pitza topped with seasoned ground meat, diced tomato, pine nuts and garnished with chopped parsley" and it is totally delicious.

It took a bit of research and guesswork to find the right combination of spices so that I could try this at home and the end result is pretty close to Aladdin's version.  I didn't have any pine nuts in the house but there was some left over hummos that I'd made last week (see my recipe here) and an extra pita bread in the pantry.  I also swapped out the parsley for some cilantro, which I'm sure is not authentic Lebanese, but since it's my kitchen, it's my prerogative.  Soon my kitchen began to smell a bit like those wonderful aromas at Aladdin's. 

Next time I find myself at Aladdin's for lunch it's time to try yet another delicious item and I cannot hardly wait!  The chicken soup is really good....or the rolled chicken salad pita is tasty...maybe try one of their pita pies that look so intriguing......decisions, decisions.

Lebanese Style Ground Beef Pitza

1 large pita bread
1/4 pound ground beef
2 tablespoons finely minced white onion
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup prepared hummos
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
chopped fresh tomato and cucumber for garnish

Make spice blend with cumin, coriander, cinnamon, ginger, salt and pepper.  Set aside.

Split pita in half.  Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Heat oil in skillet.  Saute onion till translucent.  Add spices and saute for 45 seconds or so to toast.  Remove mixture from skillet so it doesn't burn.

Add ground beef to the hot pan and brown until cooked through, then add onion mixture back to beef and heat through.

Spread pita with hummos, top with ground beef mixture.  Slide into oven on a pizza stone.  Bake for 5-8 minutes to crisp up pita and heat the hummos, being careful not to burn the edges.

Remove from oven, top with chopped tomato and cucumber and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG! This is excellent! It is so easy and satisfying.