Thursday, June 2, 2011

REWARD FOR A TOUGH DAY

There are days when nothing short of a decent adult beverage will help take the edge off of a particularly rough day.  Today was one of those days.

Luckily I have a fully stocked bar and a large list of drink recipes from which to experiment.  I also have a decent selection of wines tucked away but frankly when I have the urge for a fun drink, half the satisfaction comes from the process of actually creating the beverage.  Gathering the ingredients, dropping a couple of ice cubes in a shaker, measuring those ingredients and shaking the heck out of them is a bit of therapy even before the liquid cascades into my glass.  By far, my favorite mixed beverages are sweet martinis.  For these I keep things on hand such as Bailey's Irish Cream, all flavors of Godiva Liqueurs, vanilla vodka, caramel flavored liquors, etc. 

Pretty glasses take a simple beverage to a
higher level.
I also am a collector of fancy barware.  I few years ago I began throwing martini parties for my friends and began collecting unique martini glasses for that purpose.  Then I became enamored of hand cut short bar glasses that are perfect for a decent shot of good bourbon or a gin and tonic.  Later, I began scouring the antique shops for pretty little sherry glasses and eventually ran across a lovely set of gold embossed highball glasses....and well, you can see how things got a little out of hand from there.

These glasses tend to inspire me when it comes time to have a mixed drink.  The pretty brown ones put me in the mood for a chocolate martini.  The fruity colored ones put me on the lookout for a good cosmo recipe.  Catching sight of the pretty hand cut sherry glasses has me looking around for my bottle of sherry or port.  These all lend a little bit of class to a generally messy and laid back life. 

Tonight I took a short look through my bar recipe book and the following caught my eye.  A few minutes later and I was shaking up my martini du jour, then settling into my comfy chair, glass in hand and an old Star Trek program whisking me away to relaxation.  Sophisticated, huh?

MILKY WAY MARTINI
It's been a while since I actually ate a Milky Way candy bar, but this little beverage hits very close to what I recall. 

1 oz. vanilla vodka
1 oz. Bailey's Irish Cream (I used a caramel flavor)
1 oz. Godiva Chocolate liqueur

Settle into a comfy chair with one of these.
Add two ice cubes to a shaker.   Pour in all liqueurs and shake very well. 

Strain the liquid into a fun martini glass and serve.

No comments: