Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Chocolate Pudding Cake...Need I Say More?

OK, one little bit more....this pudding cake is just for YOU!  A sort of One Day Only Special - a temptation Tuesday dessert for one.

Again, going back to my Mom's favorite recipes (which just happen to be some of my very favorite desserts) I settled on this classic chocolate goodie for the weeks' Temptation Tuesday treat.  Normally made in an 8x8-inch baking dish, this was enough to feed my small family of three for two nights (unless Dad managed to get into the fridge and steal the rest after dinner).  It is especially good served while still warm, but not hot, from the oven with a dollop of whipped cream on top.

This is one of those magical pudding concoctions that start out with the liquid ingredients on top and while it bakes, the cake moves to the top leaving a decadent gooey layer of chocolaty goodness on the bottom.  A great thing about baking this in a small dish like tonight is that there isn't any of the chocolaty gooey stuff left behind in the dish when transferring to your own serving dish.  Score one for the single serving dish!

The recipe may seem a little complicated since there are over five ingredients and you need a couple of small bowls to mix things in, but believe me this was well worth the effort.  Did I have to lick my finger clean of chocolate cake goo after coaxing the cake batter into the dish?  Yes.  Did it take me nearly 10 minutes to gather the ingredients and get them ready to bake?  Yes.  Did the aroma of hot chocolate waft through my house while it was baking?  Yes.  These were hardships that I was willing to undertake to bring this recipe to my readers. 

I even had to taste test it just to ensure it was as I remembered it.  Man, what I won't do for you guys.

CHOCOLATE PUDDING CAKE - FOR ONE

Make the Cake
2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons flour
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoons cocoa
1 teaspoons butter
dash salt
pinch baking soda
4 teaspoons milk
1/4 teaspoons vanilla

Mix all ingredients and pour into a 4 inch ramekin.

Make the Topping
4 teaspoons white sugar
1 teaspoons cocoa
4 teaspoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons cold water

Cocoa powder does not like to blend with water very well so you will need to use a whisk to beat it into submersion.

Mix and pour over batter.  Bake in 350º oven for 20 to 25 minutes.

When the cake is done, it will be bubbling around the cake and the cake will have firmed up.  Let it cool about 15 minutes before serving.
 
Add a spritz of whipped cream and you're ready to indulge!

1 comment:

Bobbi said...

I've been asked to add the original recipe for a friend that cooks for more than just himself. So here you are Dan, enjoy this, it is a very good cake! This is written just as my Mother had it as long as 40 years ago. YUM!
FULL SIZE CHOCOLATE PUDDING CAKE
Cake batter
1 cup flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1 ½ Tbls. cocoa
2 Tbls. butter
dash salt
¼ tsp. baking soda
½ cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
Mix all ingredients and pour into 9‑inch square pan.

Topping
½ cup white sugar
2 Tbls. cocoa
½ cup brown sugar
1 cup cold water
Mix and pour over batter. Bake in 350º oven for 20‑25 minutes.